The Skiff Reader promises to be the largest dedicated eBook Reader yet developed.
The Skiff Reader, the first e-reader to integrate the upcoming Skiff Service, is a state-of-the-art device that is simple and easy-to-use. Our innovations include:
- Largest e-paper display › More viewing area for a richer reading experience.
- Thinnest e-reading device › Remarkably sleek. Easy to hold, use and carry.
- Most durable e-reader › First-of-its-kind metal-foil display (eliminating the fragility of glass). A magnesium housing. An incredibly sturdy device.
- Highest display resolution › Four times as many pixels as most e-book readers, for more immersive reading.
- Full touch screen › For intuitive content selection and navigation. Instant page turns with the swipe of a finger.
- Extraordinary battery life › Read for a week between charges.
The Skiff Reader and service was launched with the backing of magazine and newspaper behemoth Hearst. It features the largest and highest-resolution electronic-paper display for an e-reader, an 11.5-inch, 1200 by 1600 pixels (UXGA) screen that's flexible and made of stainless-steel foil. It uses Wi-Fi and Sprint 3G for connectivity. Pricing and availability were not yet available at the CES show.
- Device Dimensions: 9" (228.6 mm) x 11" (279.4 mm) x 0.268" (6.8 mm)
- Weight: 17-9/16 oz (498 grams)
- Magnesium housing
- Display Size: 11.5" (292.1 mm) measured diagonally
- Display Resolution: 1200 x 1600 pixels 174 ppi
- Display Technology: Rugged metal-foil e-paper display
- Silicon thin-film-transistors (TFT) on flexible stainless-steel substrate
- Shatter-proof, crack-proof
- Full Touchscreen: Supports both finger and stylus operation
- Processor: Marvell CPU
- Battery Life (approx): One week of average life (thousands of page turns with periodic wireless use)
- Rechargeable high-capacity Lithium Ion battery
- Recharging Time: 2-3 hrs
- Long-range wireless: 3G-enabled
- Short-range wireless: WiFi-enabled
- Wired (for sideloading content): USB 2.0 over standard mini-USB port
- Internal Memory: 4 GB (with 3+ GB available for content)
- External (Add-On) Memory: SDHC 2.0 standard compliant SD-card slot
- Audio: Built-in speaker, 3.5 mm standard audio jack
 Skiff Service
The Skiff Service ingests, optimizes, delivers and renders a wide array of content
- The Skiff Store will offer consumers a rich selection of newspapers, magazines, books, and blogs
- Wireless delivery to Skiff-enabled e-readers and other devices