EBooks have fostered a cottage industry of additional accessories that you can purchase to enhance or replace stock items on your eBook Reader.
An eBook Reader is like many other portable devices you buy. It can benefit from the addition of accessories. In some cases most of the accessories you need are included with the device but some devices do not include these items.
This article will eventually include specific resources and listings to provide access to various accessories. Note that the links are normally to the manufacturers site. Often these items can be found at other places such as Amazon.
Cases are designed to protect your eBook Reader from being damaged by being dropped, dunked in water, and other external factors. They can also enhance the visual appeal of the device.
- M-Edge - Everything for eBook Readers - Kindle and Sony products.
- E-volve, Tuff-Luv - cases, sleeves, waterproof jackets.
A cover can really show off the device while providing protection when it is use or being carried around.
- StylezWorld - custom covers. Currently the Kindle and BeBook are covered. The BeBook is the same as many other Jinke products.
- Oberson Design - Custom covers for nook and Kindle
- Noreve USA - Quality covers, check the brandname for the case. Don't overlook similar brands, Bebook for example covers many different brands from Jinke.
Slide on covers
- Sony PRS900 sleeve - from Alibaba
 Waterproof bags
A zip lock bag could provide enough protection for reading a book at the beach but there are also specialized bags that will provide more peace of mind in a potentially wet environment. Some will also provide flotation which can facilitate retrieval it your eBook reader falls overboard on in a creek.
 Rugged cases
These provide the ultimate in protection for your device.
 Added memory
Many devices support the addition of SD cards to increase the capacity to carry more eBooks. A card reader can also be useful to provide a method of transferring eBooks to your device by pre-loading them on a card and them inserting the card into the device.
Most modern eBook readers can use a USB port on your computer to charge the device. However, a dedicated charger will usually provide a quicker charge and is more portable. It is also possible to charge the device from an external battery. USB has the ability to output 5V at up to 500 mA and can be used to charge most eBook Devices. As a matter of fact some devices do not include a charger at all and expect you to either buy one or use your USB port.
Buying a charger: If you want to buy a charger to you can expect to buy one that outputs 4.9 to 5.1 Volts (nominally 5V) and the current requirements will vary. You should check your manual or it may be marked on the case near the power port. Buying one that is capable of supplying more current is ok. The unit will use what it wants. 1000mA is the same as 1 A. Chargers may be listed either way. Make sure the Charger connector will work on your device.
- Sony devices have a second charging port that will work with a PSP charger.
- How about a Solar powered eBook Reader.
Most eBook devices do not provide built-in lighting. Like the book they replace they will need a book light if they are used in a darkened area. Generally regular book lights can be attached to the eBook Reader case. Some cases have a light built in. Note that two main differences in lights is the source of power. The smallest and lightest use button batteries which is fairly expensive to replace while larger units use AAA cells which are cheaper to replace and available as rechargeables.
- http://www.mightybright.com/ makes the Mighty Light, an LED light (also incandescent models)
- Energizer product LED clip on.
- Belkin Clip Reading Light - link goes to Amazon
- Verso Clip Light -link goes to chapters.
- Capstone Industries - available at Target.
Adding a skin can personalize your device and provide a slight amount of protection.
- http://www.gmask.com/device/kindle-ebook.html - For Amazon Kindle
- http://www.decalgirl.com/ - Skins for a wide variety of eBook Readers, PDA's, and other portable devices.
- http://www.powersupportusa.com/collections/city-cases.html - iPhone air jackets with included screen protectors.
 Screen Protectors
Some use a screen protector to avoid scratching the screen. Some have anti-glare properties.
A touchscreen like the iPod Touch and iPad users can benefit from the use of a stylus. A normal touchscreen stylus will not work on a capacitive touchscreen. All of the ones below are designed for capacitive screen.
- http://tenonedesign.com/sketch.php Pogo Sketch
- http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/stylus Griffin Stylus
- Acase™ Slim Capacitive Stylus for Apple iPad - They also have a dual pen/stylus available.
- AYL™ Slim Capacitive iPad Stylus (Jet Black or Silver) - has good ratings, widely available.
- PowerSupportUSA Stainless Smart Pen
Of course you sometimes need a replacement for a resistive or IR based touchscreen as well. Here are some links for a replacement. While any sort of stylus will work on the screen, not all of them will fit in the holder slot. Even a resistive touchscreen will often work better with a stylus.
- MobileRead member chris77586 has made a stylus for the PRS-350/650 that is for sale at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/chris77586
- Outside the USA - E.L.A.S. GmbH Ersatzteilshop (E.L.A.S. GmbH Spare Parts Shop) at GmbH Spare Parts Shop for the PRS-350.
Need to use your capacitive touchscreen in cold weather perhaps some special gloves would help.
- http://www.mujjo.com/ touchscreen gloves.
 A Gaming machine?
- http://www.tenonedesign.com/fling.php An analog joystick.
- http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/e762/ - A real gaming machine
Many Tablets support Bluetooth and will allow a keyboard to be used with the device. Generally however, most people use an on-screen keyboard which is a compromise. Here are some keyboard choices:
- http://www.touchfire.com/default.asp A touchscreen overlay keyboard to provide tactile feedback.
- Anker® Ultra Slim Mini Bluetooth 3.0 Wireless Keyboard for iPad mini, iPad, Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab, and other Tablets
Sometimes you may want a desktop stand for your eBook Reader. Here are a few: (links are youtube videos)
- Rain Design iSlider
- Belkin Flipblade Adjust
- Griffin A-Frame
- JustMobile Encore
- iKlip Studio
- IPAD-ST: Universal Tablet Stand for iPad, Kindle, and Tablet PC by i.Trek
 Remote Controls
- Bluetooth airturn - remote control for changing presentation slides and changing pages in an eBook. Can also control playlists and the camera.