Sony Reader (PRS-600SC)
- Made by: Sony
- Released: August 25, 2009
- Predecessor: Sony Reader PRS-700
- Languages Supported: English
- File Types Supported: PDF, TXT, RTF, LRF, LRX, ePUB, MP3, AAC, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
The PRS-600 is known as the "Reader Touch Edition." It is based on the PRS700. It removes the front light and adds dictionary support. Many felt the front light caused a fuzzy screen display and glare. It has a touch screen and a few buttons below the screen. In all other respects it is like the PRS700.
DOC files are converted by eBook Library program on your PC to RTF if you have Word installed on your computer.
It features the ability to handwrite when creating notes or memos. You can optionally use a software on screen keyboard.
- size (Approx.): 6.9" L x 4.8" W x 0.4" D Inches (175 x 122 x 9.7 mm)
- screen: 6" diagonal touch screen 167 ppi 800x600 (4.8" x 3.6" or 122 x 91 mm) 8 level grayscale screen.
- includes a stylus but fingers will work. Flick to page forward or touch to zoom page
- weight: 10.1 oz.
- fonts: 5 available font sizes
- hard buttons available for page changing. Press and hold to skip ahead. There is also a back button, main, search, zoom, and option.
- virtual on screen keyboard
- annotation, highlighting and search capability
- dictionary support, Oxford American English eDictionary is built-in
- eBook capacity: 320 in approximately 420 MB internal user memory.
- SD card slot (SDHC) and Sony memory stick duo card slot.
- AC Power : Optional AC Charger requires 120 Volts 60Hz - PMP charger will work.
- Battery Life (Approx.): Up to 7,500 continuous page turns (or up to two weeks worth of reading) 6,800 (EPUB) Continuous page turns
- Battery Type: Rechargeable Lithium-Ion 3.7 V
- Recharging Time: Approx. 4 Hours with USB charging from powered Computer or Approx. 2 Hours when using optional AC wall charger (5.2V)
- Ports: USB 2.0 (1.1 compatible), 3.5" stereo audio jack, power input
- Operating temperature: 41 to 95°F (5 to 35°C)
- Optional Accessories
- AC Adaptor: AC-S5220E
- Car Charger: PRSA-CC1
- Soft Cover: PRSA-SC6
- Cover with Light: PRSA-CL6
- Stylus Pack: PRAS-SP1
- CPU: Freescale i.MX31(L?), ARM1136JF-S core, 400-532MHz
- EPD controller: Broadsheet (Epson S1D13521)
- USB: MX31 USB OTG controller w/ High Speed Philips ISP1504 transceiver
- Sound/Real-Time Clock/Battery/Power Management IC: Wolfson WM8350
- Flash cards: MX31 SDHC controller, MX31(?) Memory Stick controller
- RAM: 128MB
- Flash: 512 MB NAND + 2(?)MB NOR
- Linux kernel: 2.6.23 (compiled with gcc 4.2)
(question marks denote guesstimates)
The Sony PRS-600 supports the ability to add notes however they do not supply a method of reading the notes when not using the device. A third party application PRS note reader can be used to read or convert the notes.