EBook Production QA
You can't get away with not scrolling through the whole thing. - [ | @Noteon]
 Front Matter
- Correct cover
- If back cover included, check that barcode and print ISBN removed
- quotes, other books page, and other fm elements moved to back of ePub if desired
- ePub ISBN added to copyright page
- Printer’s key deleted from copyright page
- TOC linked correctly
- (optional for Non-Kindles): Have you removed TOC html page?
- TOC hierarchical view correct, fonts correct (check for space between ligatures)
- Unicode displaying properly
- Link author name to about author section?
- Part titles correct and aligned properly
- Long Titles bleed onto next line smoothly
- Chapter titles correct and aligned properly
- Hyphens do not appear on titles
- Epigraphs aligned properly; soft line returns removed; poetic indents accurate
- Heads present and correct
- Cross reference links in text active and accurate
- Notes in text linked to Notes section and accurate
- URL links in text active and accurate
- Make sure dingbats/line spaces are applied consistently in text, always a dingbat or always just a line space
 Back Matter
- Notes linked properly
- Bibliography formatted properly with hanging indents. Any links to URLs live
- Index linked properly. Layout appropriate
- About the Author has live links to author site; author image appears appropriately
 Images and Cover Art
- Captions -- if they appear -- are properly aligned and appear on the same page as the image
- Images should look ok on both e-ink sized devices and tablet devices.
 Fonts and User Defaults
- Color scheme is viewed in greyscale device and full color device.
- User option to increase/decrease font size does not ruin basic page design.
- (Optional)Front matter gives short note about preferred settings for viewing the ebook in a reader/device. (Especially applicable to Nook publisher defaults).
<dc:title> </dc:title> <dc:title id="Subtitle"> </dc:title> <dc:language> </dc:language> <dc:identifier id="PrimaryID" opf:scheme="ISBN"></dc:identifier> <dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Lastname, Firstname"></dc:creator> <dc:creator opf:role="edt" opf:file-as="Lastname, Firstname "></dc:creator> <dc:creator opf:role="ill" opf:file-as="Lastname, Firstname "></dc:creator> <dc:description></dc:description> <dc:subject>BISAC Code 1</dc:subject> <dc:subject>BISAC Code 2</dc:subject> <dc:subject>BISAC Code 3</dc:subject> <dc:subject>BISAC Description 1</dc:subject> <dc:subject>BISAC Description 2</dc:subject> <dc:subject>BISAC Description 3</dc:subject> <dc:publisher>Publisher Name</dc:publisher> <dc:date opf:event="publication">2011-04-15</dc:date> <dc:source>urn:isbn:978XXXXXXXXXX</dc:source> <dc:rights>Copyright © 2011 by Author</dc:rights> <meta name="keyword" content="keyword1"/> <meta name="keyword" content="keyword2"/> <meta name="keyword" content="keyword3"/> <meta name="price" content="USD 12.95"/> <meta name="cover" content="my_cover_image"/>
- Go to http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate/ to validate ePUB file.
- Review all ePUBs on the following devices/readers
- Adobe Digital Editions (ADE)
- Sony Reader
- Do numbered lists >10 display correctly?
- Does the .ncx-based TOC show all elements?
- Does the book pages render ok when Publisher's Defaults are turned off/on?
- IBIS Reader (http://ibisreader.com/)
- KINDLE: Review on Kindle or Kindle Previewer
- NOOK: Find all long paragraphs that the NOOK chops up oddly. Fix if you can figure out how.
 A Good Start
- Run ePUB through validator.
- Fix all known problems.
- Open OPX.
- Complete metadata.
- Nest appropriately.
- Open file in ADE.
- Take a general look at layout.
- Fix CSS for obvious design issues (spacing between heads, sizing, etc.)