The Fujitu's FLEPia is a new e-paper eBook Device that supports a color display. Fujitu called it a mobile terminal which highlights its wireless LAN capability.
- Made by: Fujitsu
- Released: April 20, 2009 (8")
- Predecessor: none
- Languages Supported: Japanese
- File Types Supported: Microsoft Office files, WinCE apps.
- Thin, lightweight, can carry large amounts of data
- Lightweight design with a thickness of 12 mm, weighing about 350 g (8-type)
- 4 gigabyte SD memory card (sold separately), Carry an evening newspaper, the morning newspapers, 100 weekly comic books and 5,000 new eBooks with you at all times.
- The built-in high-speed wireless LAN-enabled capability permits downloading while you are on the road.
- 40-hour battery life: When you're away from power you won't need to worry about your battery running down.
- Paper-clear color display
- 1024 resolution of 768 pixels (XGA), 8 or 4096 color display capable of color, easy-to-read screen.
- Two types available: Large 12" screen or the more convenient portable 8" size.
- Easy operation
- Touch screen capable.
- The buttons can be used as input: scroll key and six function keys provide quick access to functions.
- Environmentally friendly energy-saving design
- BiStable display (electronic paper display technology) means power is not needed to view the page, only to change pages.
- Power consumption is negligible as compared to standard LCD screens..
- Body size: 158 (W) × 240 (D) × 12 (H) mm, 350g
- Screen size: 123.6mm × 164.8mm (8")
- Device Color: White, Black
- Resolution: 768 × 1,024 pixels (XGA)
- Screen Colors choice: 260,000 colors (3 Scans); 4,096 (2 Scans); 64 colors (1 Scan)
- Page update: 1.8 seconds (1 Scan), 5 seconds (2 Scans), 8 seconds (3 Scans)
- Control panel: Touch panel, scroll / Select key and six Function Keys, power switch
- Built-in wireless
- LAN: IEEE802.11b/g compliant (11 / 54Mbps)
- Bluetooth: Ver2.0+EDR
- SD Card: SD memory slots × 1 (optional 1GB / 2GB / 4GB SD memory card)
- USB connector: USB2.0 (480Mbps) mini-B connector × 1
- Voice-enabled: Built-in stereo speakers, headphone jack
- Power capacity: AC adapter for a full charge Hours: 40 hours battery life assuming Display of 2,400 pages/at 1 minute per page/with 64 colors
- Content stored capacity: (4 GB SD card) Evening edition of morning newspapers: 1 year (a day's worth of photos, including 10 MB)
Weekly comic magazine: 100 minutes two years book (300 pages a book in minutes 35 MB)
New book: 5000 book (300 book pages per minute, 600 KB)
- Security: 128Bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard)
- Software: Microsoft® Windows CE5.0 FLEPia applications
- CPU: XScale RISC CPU
- Environment: Operating: temperature 5 ~ 35 ℃, humidity of 20 ~ 85% RH
Non-operating: Temperature -10 ~ 40 ℃, humidity of 20 ~ 85% RH
This product was first announced in 2007 with 8 and 4096 color display. A 12" (184.3mm × 245.7mm), 210 (W) × 304 (D) × 12 (H) mm, 560g was also announced but not yet delivered. See Fujitsu 4096 Color E-Paper for the prototype.
Two e-book viewers included as standard features (XMDF and .book formats)
Two popular e-book viewers widely used on PCs or mobile phones in Japan - “BunkoViewer” (XMDF format; “bunko” refers to “library” in Japanese) and “T-Time” (.book format) are included as standard features. These e-book viewers enable downloaded e-books to be easily read with FLEPia. The e-book viewers offer an enriched reading experience compared to conventional paper-based reading, enabling readers to jump from the table of contents to desired sections and freely enlarge or shrink text or images. A vast number of e-book sites are currently available on the Internet, and a wide range of approximately 20,000 Japanese e-books in either XMDF or .book format can be downloaded with FLEPia.