Kobo Reset: Aura H2O
 Performing a basic reset
A basic reset will force your eReader to restart properly. In many cases, this is enough to restore your eReader to normal.
- If possible, turn off your eReader.
- Remove the port cover, and locate the small pinhole on the bottom of your eReader.
- Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.
- Press gently until you feel a click. Your eReader should restart.
 Performing a factory reset
If a basic reset doesn't work, you can perform a factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a factory reset, you’ll have to set up and sync your eReader again.
If you perform a factory reset on your eReader, you'll:
- Remove all books from your eReader. Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded from the Kobo Cloud after a factory reset.
- Lose any bookmarks and annotations you made in your books since you last synced your eReader.
- Sign out of your account on your eReader.
- Reset all of your settings and preferences.
- Return your eReader to its original settings.
- If possible, back up any books or documents that you added to your eReader using Adobe Digital Editions, or that you manually added using your computer. You do not need to back up any books you bought from Kobo. Any books you purchased from Kobo can be re-downloaded from the Kobo Cloud after a factory reset.
- Go to your Home screen.
- Tap the Menu icon at the top of the screen.
The Quick Settings panel will appear.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Device information.
- Tap Factory Reset under Advanced.
- Tap Reset Now.
 Performing a manual factory reset
If a basic reset and a factory reset don't work, you can try a manual factory reset to restore your eReader to its original settings. After a manual factory reset, you'll need to set up and sync your eReader again. Before you perform a manual factory reset, charge your eReader for at least four hours.
- While your eReader is on, remove the port cover on the bottom of your eReader.
Note: If your eReader doesn't turn off, try pressing and holding the power button until you see Powered off on your screen.
- Insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
You'll feel a click and your eReader will reset itself.
- When you see square icons on the screen, insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently.
- Repeat step 3 two more times.
Your eReader's screen will turn black, and show a Critical error message. Don't worry, this is normal.
- Tap the check mark icon at the bottom of the screen to reset your eReader.
Content retrieved from https://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/article/3845/resetting-your-kobo-aura-h2o on February 19, 2017
 Performing a manual factory reset when the device doesn't boot to the "dancing squares"
If the above basic reset and a factory reset don't work, there is an alternative method to do manual factory reset. After a manual factory reset, you'll need to set up and sync your eReader again. Before you perform a manual factory reset, charge your eReader for at least four hours.
- Force the eReader to turn off by holding the power button in the off position for about 20 seconds.
- Turn the eReader on but continue to hold the power button down.
- Quickly tap both bottom corners of the screen.
- When the screen changes, stop tapping the screen and release the power button.
- The factory reset should start.
If the factory reset does not start, you may need to try again. You need to get the timing of the taps correct.