Surface RT is a new Windows based Web Tablet from Microsoft running the RT operating system. The original Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 also described. There are also several others. See Windows surface for a list.
It’s time for a tablet that’s more than meets the eye. Powerful processing and beautiful design unite on Surface. Whether you’re working hard or hardly working, Surface’s integrated Kickstand and revolutionary Touch Cover let you work, play, and connect with others like never before. Plug into external displays like projectors and HDTV, and share your world. Pre-loaded with Windows RT, Microsoft Office 2013 RT2, Xbox apps, and other essentials.
Windows RT is a Windows 8 OS supporting ARM processors. It is used on the Surface RT.
Two models are offered: The regular HD RT model and Surface Pro model featuring full 1080P HD and running regular Windows 8. There is now a version 2 of each model with more power and more features.
- OS: Windows RT, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT
- Dimensions: 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37 in (.35 in surface 2, .53 on Pro)
- Weight: Less than 1.5 lbs (2 lbs on Pro)
- Casing: VaporMg
- Color: Dark Titanium
- Physical buttons: Volume, Power
- STORAGE: 32 GB or 64 GB SSD (Pro can go up to 512GB)
- System RAM: 2GB, Surface Pro and Pro 2 has 4GB, or 8GB depending on the amount of storage.
- Display Size: 10.6" ClearType HD Display
- Resolution: 1366 x768 Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (widescreen)
- Surface 2: 1920 x 1080 207ppi
- Pro model: 1920 x 1080 207ppi
- Touch: 10-point multi-touch CPU
- Processor: Nvidia Tegra 30 ARM based 1.3 GHz (surface 2 T40 1.7 GHz)
- Pro 2: 4th generation Intel Core i5 Processor.
- life: Up to 8 hours mixed activity, 7-15 days idle life
- CAMERAS: Two 720p HD cameras, front and rear-facing VIDEO
- Surface 2, 1080p cameras 3.5 Mpixel front and 5.0 Mpixel back.
- Two microphones
- Stereo speakers, Headphone jack
- Ports: Full-size USB 2.0 (surface 2 USB 3.0), HDMI video out
- External: microSDXC card reader, Cover port
- SENSORS: Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer
- WARRANTY: 1-year limited hardware warranty
- Apps (included): Mail, Messaging, Word, Power Point, Excel, OneNote, Outook, SkyDrive, Internet Explorer 10, Bing, Music, Video, Games, and more.
 BLACK TOUCH COVER
The cover you can type on. Touch Cover clicks in to Surface in an instant, and offers a sleek, spill-resistant exterior for working – no matter where you find yourself. When folded back, Touch Cover automatically disables keystrokes for a full touchscreen experience; when closed, it turns off your display. Give Surface your personal touch with a color that matches your style.
- DIMENSIONS: 7.4 x 11.0 in • 3 mm thin
- WEIGHT: 0.46 lbs
- COLOR: Black, Additional colors (White, Cyan, Magenta, Red) sold separately
- Activation: Pressure-sensing input
- Layout: QWERTY INTERFACE
- Magnetic SENSORS: Accelerometer
- WARRANTY | 1-year limited hardware warranty
 Windows RT vs. Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 8 Pro is used on the Surface Pro models.
- Windows RT contains many of the same features as Windows 8 Pro:
- Fluid, intuitive, and easy-to-use interface design that you can easily customize.
- Built in apps like Mail, Calendar, Messaging, Photos, and SkyDrive with many more apps available in the Windows Store.
- Internet Explorer 10, for fast, intuitive browsing.
- Touch-enabled so you can interact with Windows in a whole new way.
- Mouse and keyboard–enabled so you can be as productive as you need to be.
- Windows RT also includes some different features:
- Windows Update and Windows Defender are always on and up to date making your PC more secure.
- Device encryption provides advanced data protection to help keep your information secure.
- The PC can turn on instantly with connected standby.
- Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview is preinstalled.
- Some features aren't included in Windows RT:
- Windows Media Player
- Windows Media Center
- HomeGroup creation (you can join an existing HomeGroup but you can't create a new one)
- Domain join
Windows RT works exclusively with RT apps. Windows 8 applications will not work.
- Surface 2 upgraded to match Windows 8.1
 For more information
- Microsoft web site
- http://www.windowsstore.com/ - Developer pages available for RT and Windows 8.
- http://www.microsoftstore.com/ - Hardware and software available for RT and Windows 8.
- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/apps for the US - Note the store itself can now be browsed and searched from any browser. A directly link to the app you are interested in will also work. The app store only available on Windows 8 or RT can be used to browse or download apps. However a directly link to the app you are interested in will work.