iPad is a tablet computer by Apple, Inc. This page covers the iPad 1, 2, and 3 officially called the New iPad and the iPad 4. There is also a miniaturized version called the iPad mini and the newest version the iPad Air.
Proportionally and materially similar, the iPad resembles a large iPod touch. Compared to similar devices this would rank as a Web Tablet. It will run most all applications designed for the iPhone OS including the Kindle Reader app. It includes or allows a free download of an iBooks application that provides ePub and PDF support.
 iPad 1
This was released in 2010. Its features include
- 10.7" screen 1024 x 768 display resolution 134 ppi.
- 256 Meg RAM
- iOS support
- weight 1.5 lbs.
See Specifications for more information on the iPad 1 and common features.
 iPad 2
US release is March 11 but overseas is March 25, 2011. The update points include:
- faster dual core processor with new iOS to support it. A5 1 GHz processor.
- 512 Meg RAM
- lighter weight 1.3 lbs (601 g) vs 1.5
- ATT 3G 1.35 pounds (613 g)
- Verizon 3G 1.34 pounds (607 g)
- 2 cameras with Photo Booth and Facetime software, front side VGA (640 x 480), backside 720p HD (1280 x 720) at 30 Hz. The backside camera can be used as a still camera with 5X digital zoom but the resolution is only 960 x 720. Geotagging over Wi-Fi supported.
- thinner: 8.8 mm
- iMovie ($4.99)with optional HDMI cable ($39). capable of 1080p.
- new accessory case design ($39), leather ($69)
- 2 colors available, black and white
- auto rotate with a lock switch using gyroscope.
- music app ($4.99) turns the touchscreen into a piano/organ keyboard or other musical instruments.
- has pressure sensitive screen using gyroscope and accelerometer.
- WWAN: 3G for either ATT or Verizon, data only. Only one is supported on a particular hardware configuration so you need to buy the correct version of the iPad.
- ATT/GSM Wi-Fi + 3G model: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Verizon Wi-Fi + 3G model: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
- A thinner screen that is more flexible and more rugged against breaking.
- HDMI cable available as an option, both VGA and HDMI cables can do screen mirroring.
 iPad 3
The iPad 3 was announced March 7th 2012 for release on March 16th. The list of changed features include:
- 2048 x 1536 (3.1 million pixels) Retina display. 264 ppi
- A5X processor, dual-core CPU and quad-core graphics
- 5 MP camera on the back, similar to iPhone 4S. Auto exposure, auto focus, face detection.
- Plus HD (1080p) video capture
- Voice dictation
- 4G LTE capability meaning very fast download speeds (73 mbps on LTE). It can also be used as a wireless hotspot.
- 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery 10 hour battery life, 9 hours on 4G.
- thickness: 9.4mm, 0.37in. (thicker than iPad 2, thinner than iPad 1)
- weight 1.44 lbs (652g) for WiFi, 1.46 lbs (662g) for Wi-Fi + 4G (heavier than iPad 2, lighter than iPad 1)
- cellphone providers: Rogers, Telus and Bell in Canada, At&T and Verizon in the U.S.
- Bluetooth - 4.0
 iPad 4
The new iPad includes the A6 processor now available on the iPhone 5, which Apple said "delivers up to twice the CPU performance and up to twice the graphics performance of the A5X chip" found in the existing new iPad 3. The iPad will also get the smaller Lightning Connector. Apple promised 10 hours of battery life "in the same thin and light iPad design." The updated iPad also includes a FaceTime HD camera, twice the Wi-Fi performance compared to previous iPads, and support for additional LTE carriers worldwide.
The iPad 1 was announced on January 27, 2010 and delivered shortly thereafter.
Except as noted above the specifications are the same for the three models.
- Dimensions: 9.56 inches (242.8 mm) x 7.47 inches (189.7 mm) x 0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
- 1.5 pounds (.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;
- 1.6 pounds (.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model
- 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
- Wi-Fi model
- Wi-Fi + 3G model (ATT in the US)
- UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz)
- Data only
- Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
- Digital compass
- Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
- Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
- In the Box
- Dock connector to USB cable
- 10W Power Adapter
- Capacity: 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive
- Processor: 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
- 256 Meg RAM (doubled in later models)
- Accelerometer - page rotation can be disabled with a switch.
- Ambient light sensor
- Audio Playback, both stereo and mono.
- TV and Video
- Support for 1024 x 768 with Dock Connector to VGA adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component A/V Cable, 576i and 480i with Apple Composite Cable
- H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- AVI videos in Motion JPEG format, with data rates of up to 35Mbps, resolutions of up to 1280 by 720 pixels, and PCM stereo audio.
- Mail attachment support
- Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, Russian
- Keyboard support for English (US) English (UK), French (France, Canada), German, Japanese (QWERTY), Dutch, Flemish, Spanish, Italian, Simplified Chinese (Handwriting and Pinyin), Russian
- Dictionary support for English (US), English (UK), French, French (Canadian), French (Swiss), German, Japanese, Dutch, Flemish, Spanish, Italian, Simplified Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin), Russian
- Support for playback of closed-captioned content
- Voice-Over screen reader (TTS)
- Full-screen zoom magnification
- White on black
- Mono audio
- Battery and Power
- Built-in 25Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
- Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system
- Input and Output
- Dock connector
- 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
- Built-in speakers
- SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)
- External buttons and controls
- On/Off, Sleep/wake
- Screen Rotation Lock
- Volume up/down
- Mac system requirements
- Windows system requirements
- PC with USB 2.0 port
- Windows 7, Windows Vista; Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
- iTunes 9.0 or later (free download from http://www.itunes.com/download)
- iTunes Store account
- Internet access
- Environmental requirements
- Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
- Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
 Format Support in Reader Software
For eBook reading software that can run on iOS see E-book software#iPhone and iPad.
|Format||Supported||Supported Applications||Import methods||More info|
|Non-DRM ePub||Yes||readMe, Bookshelf, iBooks,Stanza,Kobo, Marvin||Calibre server, iTunes, Safari, eMail|
|Barnes and Noble DRM ePub||Yes||B&N eReader,Nook||From B&N purchase only|
|Adept DRM ePub||Yes||txtr, Kobo, Bluefire Reader||Uploaded to txtr website. Kobo does not open DRM ePubs not purchased from Kobo. Bluefire Reader supports syncing through iTunes.||txtr app does not support font color or face modifications|
|Overdrive ePubs||Yes||Bluefire Reader||Authorize with Adobe Digital Editions then transfer through app file sharing in iTunes.|
|Yes||Built-in, GoodReader, iBooks||email attachment, open from any application which allows upload, download from internet, iTunes|
|Adept DRM PDF||Yes||Bluefire Reader||Authorize with Adobe Digital Editions then transfer through app file sharing in iTunes.|
|Apple DRM ePub||Yes||iBooks||iTunes|
|non-DRM MobiPocket||Yes||Stanza||Calibre server, email attachment, Stanza desktop, iTunes|
|Amazon DRM AZW||Yes||Kindle Reader||Purchase from Amazon only. No import.|
|CHM||Yes||Bookshelf||Needs investigation. Bookshelf has content server.|
|RTF||Yes||Built-in||By email attachment.||Built-in does not allow any modification of background color so it wouldn't be particularly good for long-form reading.|
|CBR/CBZ||Yes||Stanza, CloudReaders, Comic Zeal, ARCreader, ComicBookLover||Import via calibre, email, download from web, iTunes|
There is also a chart on Wikipedia.
 iPad Accessories
These are extra cost accessories.
 iPad Keyboard Dock
The Keyboard Dock is a dock for charging your iPad, integrated with a full-size keyboard. The dock has a rear 30-pin connector, which lets you connect to an electrical outlet using a USB Power Adapter, sync to your computer, and use accessories like the Camera Connection Kit. And an audio jack lets you connect to a stereo or powered speakers.
 iPad Case
The iPad Case not only protects the iPad, it can be used in various positions. So it’s easy to type, look at photos and slideshows, or watch movies.
 iPad Dock
The iPad Dock lets you dock and charge iPad. The rear 30-pin connector lets you connect the iPad Dock to an electrical outlet using the USB Power Adapter, sync to your computer, and use accessories like the Camera Connection Kit. And an audio jack lets you connect to a stereo or powered speakers.
 iPad Camera Connection Kit
The Camera Connection Kit includes two adapters that give you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card.
It has also been discovered that the Apple Camera Connection Kit USB port has provided unofficial support for wired USB-based computer keyboards for direct text entry and also wired USB-based headsets for use with VoIP applications.
 iPad USB Power Adapter
The 10W USB Power Adapter lets you charge your iPad directly through an electrical outlet. And the 6 foot long power cable allows you to charge it from an even greater distance.