Archos 7 is the name given to lots of Archos products, all with 7" screens. This page covers the 7" Home Tablet and Internet Media Tablet. The Archos 5 is also covered briefly here. It is a similar device as the Internet Media Tablet with an even smaller 4.8" TFT LCD screen (supports smaller disk drives).
In its normal use mode, the ARCHOS 7 is a miniaturized Personal Computer. It offers uncompromising web browsing and can make our entire media collection portable. It is a great travel companion. The Internet Home Tablet uses Flash Rom instead of a disk drive.
There are two versions of the Internet Home Tablet (HT), the main differences are Android 1.5 on version 1 versus Android 2.1 on version 2 as shipped and the Processor is 600 MHz versus 800 MHz. There is also a model 7c with a capacitive touchscreen which is otherwise the same as the Version 2. There are some OS upgrades available from the manufacturer and even more form the Archos community.
 Specifications for HT
Version available in 2011 Internet Home Tablet.
- Screen Size: 7" Resistive Touchscreen 800 x 480 pixel.
- Memory Capacity: 8 GB
- Operating System: Android 2.1 (1.5-1.6 in older model)
- Memory Type: Flash Memory 8GB
- Storage Media Type: Micro SDHC
- Processor: RK2918 ARM Cortex-A8 processor - various speeds 600 and 800 MHz
- GPU/VPU: H.264 HD
- Video Playback:
- Audio Playback: WAV, AAC, MP3, WMA, OGG, APE, FLAC, no DRM.
- Photo Viewing: JPEG, BMP, GIF
- Communications: Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
- Ports: USB 2.0, slave or host. Host mode requires a cable adapter best found on ebay.
- Battery Run Time: Video playback time - up to 7 hours, Music playback time - up to 42 hours
- Battery Type: Lithium Polymer battery
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 8” x 4.2” x 0.5” (203 x 107 x 12mm)
- Weight: 13.7 oz (388 g)
- automatic page rotation - can be turned off.
- microphone - not very sensitive.
 Earlier Internet Media Tablet Specifications
- Display characteristics: High resolution screen, 800x480 pixels, 7 TFT LCD, 16 million colors
- User interface: Touch screen, ON/OFF, vol+ and vol- buttons, retractable virtual keyboard
- Processor(s): Central Unit:
- Main processor: ARM CortexTM-A8, 32 bit, In-order, dual-issue, superscalar core @ 600 MHz
- Additional processor: 32 bit DSP @ 430 MHz
- RAM memory: 128 MB (Low-Power Double Data Rate SDRAM)
- Mass storage memory: Hard drive, capacity according to the product version
- Video playback:
- MPEG-4 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution)
- WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD resolution) including WMV protected files
- M-JPEG (Motion JPEG Video) in QVGA resolution
- With optional plug-in (downloadable from your tablet on http://www.archos.com): HD support: MPEG-4 (ASP 720p) & WMV HD (MP 720p)
- H.264 up to DVD resolution with AAC
- MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)
- Audio playback:
- Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 Kbits/s CBR & VBR, WMA, Protected WMA, WMA pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM).
- AC3 stereo audio and 5.1 sound files (via SPDIF output of DVR Station)
- Flac and OGG Vorbis audio files
- With optional software plug-ins (downloadable from your tablet on www.archos.com): AAC, AAC+ stereo audio files
- Photo viewer: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF
- PDF viewer: Reads PDF documents (may not implement all PDF features)
- Video recording: Via the optional DVR Station/ DVR Snap-on: Records NTSC/PAL/SECAM in MPEG-4 AVI format with ADPCM stereo sound, VGA resolution (640 x 480) @ 30 or 25 f/s
- Audio recording: Via the optional DVR Station or DVR Snap-on: Stereo line-in, WAV (IMA ADPCM or PCM) format
- Voice recording via the optional FM remote and its built-in microphone in WAV format (IMA ADPCM)
- Email client: Compatible with Email accounts supporting POP3 and IMAP services
- Import/export of vCard contacts
- USB 2.0 High-Speed Device (compatible USB 1.1 at a lower speed): Mass Storage Class (MSC) and Media Transport Protocol (MTP)
- USB 2.0 Host: Mass Storage Class (MSC) and Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) with optional Mini Dock, Battery Dock and DVR station
- WiFi (802.11b/g) connection. Free Web Browser (Opera® Web browser and Adobe Flash™ Player) upon registration
- 3.5 mm mini jack for headphones and audio output
- DC-in for power adapter
- Docking connectors to connect DVR Station and other ARCHOS accessories
- 2 Built-in speaker
- Built-in leg stand
- Battery life:
- Music playback time: 39 hours (22 hours on the Archos 5)
- Video playback time: 10 hours (7 hours on the Archos 5)
- Power source: Internal: lithium Polymer battery
- Power adapter/charger ARCHOS 5V at 1 A.
- Scalability: Updates can be downloaded at http://www.archos.com
- Dimensions: Approx. 190 x 110 x 16 mm; 7.48" x 4.33" x 0.629"
- Archos 5: Approx 127,5 x 78,3 x 12,9 mm (for 60GB* model) – 250gr
- Archos 5: Approx 127 x 78,8 x 19,4 mm (for 120/250GB* models) – 300gr
- Weight: Approx. 640g; 23oz
- Minimum system requirements:
- Microsoft® Windows® Vista, XP, ME, 2000 or higher
- MAC OS X and Linux (with Mass Storage Device Support) USB 2.0 interface
- Package includes: ARCHOS 7, headphones, ARCHOS USB cable, DVR Station adapter, power adapter/charger, screen cleaning cloth, Quick Start Guide (QSG), legal and safety notice.
- ↑ 1GB= 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity is less.
- ↑ video based on 1000 Kbits/s MPEG-4 audio/video encoding and 1h30/movie (for near DVD Quality)
- ↑ photos based on JPEG, VGA.
- ↑ On average; songs based on 3.5 mins/song & 64 Kbits/s WMA
- ↑ Certain PC accessories may not be compatible.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Certain bit-rates, resolutions, and/or file variations may not be compatible.
- ↑ MPEG-4 ASP@L5 AVI (MPEG-4: ISO standard by Moving Picture Experts Group; AVI: audio/video file container by Microsoft) without GMC and Quarter.
- ↑ Does not read AAC protected files.
- ↑ Certain resolutions and file sizes may not be compatible.
- ↑ Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced. Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. Test run on an ARCHOS 7 320 GB with low backlight.