Its purpose is to replace the JPEG image format when quality or file size is an issue. Its main advantages are:
- High compression ratio. Files are much smaller than JPEG for similar quality.
- Based on a subset of the HEVC open video compression standard.
- Supports the same chroma formats as JPEG (grayscale, YCbCr 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4) to reduce the losses during the conversion.
- An alpha channel is supported. The RGB, YCoCg and CMYK color spaces are also supported.
- Native support of 8 to 14 bits per channel for a higher dynamic range. (HDR)
- Lossless compression is supported.
- Various metadata (such as Exif, ICC Profile, XMP) can be included.
- Animation support.
- BPG can be supported in hardware with standard HEVC decoders and encoders