Iriver has developed a new eBook Reader called the iriver Story.
- Dimensions: 127 x 203.5 x 9.4mm
- weighing 284g
- 2 GB internal memory
- 3.5mm headphones jack for music support
- mini USB and SD card slots (SDHC to 32 GB)
- 6" E Ink screen. 8 level gray scale.
- next/prev page buttons on left and right sides molded in and practically invisible.
- formats: PDF, EPUB, TXT, PDF, DOC, PPT, XLS, JPG, BMP, GIF, MP3, WMA, OGG, CBZ (no support for CBR)
- DRM: ADE, PDF, ePUB
- Power consumption: You can read up to 30 books (3-4 hours day for a week) as the E-ink display consumes power only when pages are turned (9000 pages). You can listen to music for 24 hours and record voice for 5 hours.
- Includes voice recorder.
Supports user loadable TTF fonts. Place the fonts in the /font folder.
 Open Source
When the iriver Story was originally released it was discovered by examination of the firmware image files that the device relied on software licensed under the GPL, particularly the Linux kernel and Busybox shell, however no sources were provided. Once this was brought to the attention of iriver they provided source code for the GPLed portions of the code, but this is not the entire source and is also missing development headers required to actually build the code, so at the moment it's not possible to easily make changes to the firmware of the device.
There is some work going on as part of the Open Inkpot project to port their open source eReader firmware to the iriver Story, and the main developers have devices for development purposes but as yet there is no intended release date.