- Made by: Kobo
- Released: 2013, 2nd edition 2016
- Languages Supported: English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Japanese.
- File Types Supported: EPUB, PDF, MOBI, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TXT, HTML, XHTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR
Kobo Aura's beautiful 6" ClarityScreen and a high res, edge-to-edge low-glare Pearl E Ink screen provides a print on paper reading experience, even in direct sunlight. The latest E Ink screen technology allows you to transition between pages without those annoying flashes and now with pinch to zoom, you'll catch every detail when zooming in to PDFs and select books.
Social Reading: Includes Reading Life™. Track your Reading Stats and share what you're reading, favorite passage and Reading Life awards to your Facebook® Timeline.
Note that Aura is also the name of a line of Kobo products that include the Aura, the Aura HD, Aura H2O, and Aura ONE.
Common Specs, See Comparison for differences
- Storage: 4GB
- Front light: ComfortLight
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB
- Battery: 1500mAh - Up to 2 months (Based on 30 minutes of reading a day with ComfortLight turned on or off, and Wi-Fi turned off.)
- Fonts: TypeGenius, Kobo's font experience with a choice of 11 fonts, 24 sizes, exclusive weight and sharpness settings. Includes Kobo's exclusive font Kobo Nickel, designed for crisp, clear readability.
- Dictionary: Built-in Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® dictionary.
- Notes, Quotes: Highlight text, take notes, share to Facebook.
- Advanced Features: Library personalization, predictive search, brightness controls, double-tap PDF zoom in, and SimpleTurn for comfortable page turns.
- Supports ePub and Adobe DRM. Read books borrowed from your public library.
- File Types
- Browsing: Experimental Web browser
- Games: Chess and Sudoku
- Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Japanese.
- Free Mobile & Desktop Apps
- Free Kobo apps for Mac and PC, Apple®, Android™, smartphones, and tablets.
The Kobo Aura was originally released in 2013. The Kobo Aura Edition 2 was released in 2016 as a "refreshed version of a beloved classic"
The Aura Edition 2 was updated in late 2017 with a hardware refresh. The CPU has been updated to the i.MX 6SLL. Externally, the two versions are identical. The serial number number can be used to tell them apart. If the 7th character of the serial number is a "0", it is the first version. If it is a "2", it is the second version.
- Kobo Firmware Releases
- FCC tests for Aura
- FCC tests for Aura Edition 2
|item||1st edition||Edition 2|
|Dimensions:||150 x 114 x 8.1 mm||159 x 113 x 8.5 mm|
|Processor:||Freescale i.MX507 1 GHz|| Version 1: i.MX 6 1 GhHz
Version 2: i.MX 6SLL 1 GHz
|Storage expansion:||up to 32GB using Micro SD card||none|
|Display:||6" High-res E Ink Pearl 1024 x 758 212dpi||6" E Ink Carta touchscreen, 1024 x 768 - 212 ppi|
|Buttons:||Power on/off, light on/off||Power on/off|
|Colors:||Textured black or pink||Textured black|
- The reader can be hacked the same way as described in: Kobo WiFi Hacking