- Made by: Sony
- Released: prototype 2013, release Dec 2013
- Predecessor: none
- Languages Supported: English, Japanese
- File Types Supported: PDF
(translated from Japanese)
The display was designed to be a "digital paper terminal", using the technique of forming a high precision thin film transistor (TFT) on a plastic substrate. This 13.3" is the latest type of flexible electronic paper. This easy to read clearly as paper also fine character definition with 150 ppi. Because of its 6.8mm thickness and a weight of only 358g you can carry it easily while still being a large screen. Moreover, since it corresponds to nearly A4 size at 13.3" diagonal display, type fonts can be read in text sizes and layouts similar to a paper document.
Furthermore, by adopting an electromagnetic induction method and the optical touch panel technology, touch input can also be applied to the operation of the paging and menus. You can also write directly on the screen as smoothly as paper using the accompanying pen. The file format corresponds to a PDF, which is saved with a document and highlights handwriting and sticky notes.
Furthermore, since it is equipped with Wi-Fi function, it is planned to support applications to share files across a network. In addition, because it is equipped with a microSD memory card slot, it can accommodate a large amount of documents. Due to low power consumption, flexible electronic paper can be used for about three weeks on a single charge. Sony aims to commercialize the terminal in 2013 fiscal year.
Additional data based on the released product. There are several apps included:
- The book reading app is primary - besides reading it supports annotation features: highlight text and add notes with on-screen keyboard. Attach sticky notes.
- A web browser is also included.
- A Note application is included. Like the annotation it supports handwriting or on screen keyboard.
- A WebDrive is supported using WebDAV for collaboration, syncing, and cloud storage.
- A workplace application allows grouping documents - serves as a directory or folder.
- CPU: Freescale i.MX508, at 800Mhz or 1Ghz
- Support file format: PDF which complies with specifications for PDF version 1.7
- Display 13.3 inch diagonal electrophoretic display 1200 × 1600 pixel, 16-level gray scale 150 ppi
- Internal memory: capacity (for data storage)/User available capacity:
- Approx. 4.0 GB/Approx. 2.8 GB
- Depending on size of pre-loaded. Available memory capacity may vary.
- Storable PDF files in the internal memory Approx. 2,800 files of 1 MB each.
- Interface: microSD card slot, micro USB terminal
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable battery 3.7 V DC, 1270mAh
- AC adapter: Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.2A Output: DC 5V 1000mA
- Computer-based charging Approx. 3.5 hours
- Supplied AC adapter based charging Approx. 2.5 hours
- Battery life
- Maximum Battery Wi-Fi Off: 3 weeks Wi-Fi On: 2 weeks
- Page turn: Approx. 24,000 continuous page turns when reading only
- Operating/Charging temperature: 5°C to 35°C (41°F to 95°F)
- Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n compliant
- Frequency band 2.4GHz band
- Wireless security WEP, WPA/WPA2 PSK, 802.1x EAP
- Connection type WPS(Wi-Fi Protected Setup)/Manual setup
- Wi-Fi authentication Supported
- Dimensions (w/h/d) Approx. 233 × 310 × 6.8mm (9 1/4 × 12 1/4 × 9/32 inches) including pen holder
- Weight: Approx. 12.6oz (358g)
- USB cable length Approx. 58 1/8 inches (1.5 m)
- Supplied items
- AC adapter × 1, USB cable × 1,
- Quick Start Guide × 1, Basic Operation Guide, User Guide, Warranty card × 1
- Stylus × 1, Sleeve case × 1,
- Replacement nibs × 3, Nib puller ×1
replacement is the Sony DPT-RP1
- Engadget review
- Google Translation of Sony site
- Tom's hardware site - describes the technology of the display.