E Ink Mobius
E Ink Mobius is the latest offering from E Ink. It features a flexible substrate.
The new flexible electronic paper display (EPD) technology will be the first flexible display technology that will go into mass production for a large format digital paper product and utilizes a flexible Thin Film Transistor (TFT) technology developed by Sony for plastic displays and turned over to E Ink. Both E Ink Pearl and E Ink Carta screen technologies are supported.
There are two benefits. The screen and substrate are basically unbreakable and the screen is much lighter making the device much lighter. The screen exhibits some limitations for some users. For example, the fact that it is flexible causes some to think it my be breaking if they place any pressure on it. It is basically unbreakable. The second problem is that there may be minor scratches when using the stylus. The solution is to add a screen protector to the device and replace it when needed.
It can also be used with a glass overlay. When a screen breaks it is usually the back TFT layer that breaks, not the outside layer which can be made more rugged. Having a glass overlay permits a front light and a more sensitive touchscreen.
|Display Size:||1.73"||3.5"||4.3"||6"||7.8" Carta||8" Carta||10.3" Carta||13.3"||13.3" Carta|
|Resolution:||320 x 240||600 x 360||800 x 480||1024 x 768||1872 x 1404||1920 x 1440||1872 x 1404||1600 x 1200||2200 x 1650 pixels|
|Brightness:||69.5 L* WS||69.5 L* WS|
 Screen features and Devices
See Screen sizes for comparison and dimensions of the various sizes.
 13.3" screen
The Mobius display is featured in a 13.3" inch display with 150 ppi and 16 grayscale layers. It has 1600 x 1200 pixels. PVI has an HD screen with 2200 x 1650 (207 DPI) as of May 2017 for Carta screens. See screen sizes for a comparison.
The display is approximately 271 x 203 mm or 10.67" x 8.0" providing near letter size reproduction and is only 4.8mm thick (less that .2"). This will make the display much more rugged and also significantly lighter, 63grams vs 144grams for glass.
Devices using this screen include:
- Sony E Ink slate
- Sony DPT-S1 Sony E Ink slate
- Sony DPT-RP1 Digital Paper 13.3" high resolution.
- BOOX Max 13.3 - The BOOX Max Carta is available with HD screen.
- BOOX MAX2 Pro - Mobius Carta 2200 x 1650 screen.
- BOOX MAX3 - Mobius Carta 2200 x 1650 with plastic front as well.
- BOOX Max Lumi - Mobius CArt 2200 x 1650 with front light.
- Good eReader 13.3 aka Indiegogo eReader from Netronix
- PocketBook CAD Reader Flex
- DASUNG A monitor and future eBook Reader 13.3” display 2200 × 1650 pixels
- Paper like monitor - USB monitor. Helps solve CVS.
- Netronix 13.3" digitizer sub-400gr i.MX6 Solo Lite Android note taker and eBook Reader and more
- GVIDO Digital Music Score has dual 13.3" E Ink Carta screens
 10.3" screen
The 10.3" E Ink Carta Flexible Screen features sharp with the resolution of 1872 x 1404 pixels (227dpi) and high contrast (15:1).
Devices using this screen include:
- Onyx Boox Note also has 10.3" screen with E Ink Carta
- reMarkable 10.3" 1872 x 1404 resolution (226 DPI) uses an E Ink Carta screen.
- Sony DPT-CP1 10.3" 1872 x 1404 227 DPI.
- BOYUE Likebook Note
- BOYUE Likebook Mimas latest model from Boyue
- E-PAD Android tablet.
 8" screen
The 8" E Ink Carta Flexible screen has 300 dpi and a 1920 x 1440 screen for Full HD.
 6" rugged screen
The earliest use of this flexible display was the WEXLER. Flex ONE on a 6" eBook reader. This screen is planned in Earl. The Earl development team mentions: PVI, E-Ink’s Taiwanese parent company has sent them some samples of their new flexible screen. The new screen uses the E-ink’s Regal waveform technology which dramatically reduces the need for refreshes, allowing for a smoother viewing experience.
 4.3" screen
The BOOX E43 4.3" from Onyx is an eBook reader that is also a phone.