The Hisense A5 is an E-ink smartphone with 5.84-inch energy-saving monochrome screen. The HiSense A5 is powered by a 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon octa-core chipset and comes in two different variants and colors.
The 5.84-inch HD+ screen has a resolution of 1440 x 720 pixels and it is ideal for reading an ebook. The paper frontlight display comes with adjustable brightness for use in the dark, with all the pros of an E-Ink screen including a very low power consumption and that it never turns off. Like with any other ebook reader or kindle device, the screen has a low refresh rate with ghosting effect. Underneath the black and white screen is a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor with eight cores and a maximum clock speed of 2.0GHz. The SoC is paired with 4GB of RAM and an internal storage of 32GB or 64GB.
It has a microSD card slot, microUSB charging port, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, OTG, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a large 4000mAh battery with 5V/2A charging support. The HiSense A5 sports a 5-megapixel front-facing camera and a 13-megapixel rear camera with LED flash. The operating system of the Hisense A5 is Android 9 Pie.
- Screen:5.84" E Ink Carta 1440 x 720 pixels 276 ppi 2:1 ratio
- CPU: snapdragon 439 Octa core 2.0 GHz
- RAM/ROM: 4GB RAM and 32GB or 64GB ROM
- expansion: MicroSD card (tf) up to 256GB
- battery: 4,000 mAh.
- Cameras: 5MP front, 13MP back, f/1.9
- While the screen display is monochrome the cameras take color photos.
- Audio: MP3, MP4, 3gp, WMA, OGG, amr, aac, flac, wav, midi, ra
- Video: MP4, 3GP, WMV, RM, RMVB, ASF
- Images: PNG, JPG, GIF, BMP, WebP, WBMP
- Phone: 2G, 3G, 4G, TD LTE: 4G LTE / 3G WCDMA / 2G GSM w/ unlocked SIM
- Connection: Micro USB 2.0
- Wireless: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
- Location: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BDS
- OS: Android 9.0
- Colors: Back, White
 eBook Readers
The following eBook Readers have been reported as working well with this product.
 Rooting and firmware availability
The Hisense A5 appears to have become rather popular among many users on forum.xda-developers.com who finally found a way to reliably root the device. This way some users have managed to retroactively install the google framework and associated services, and others found ways to disable or even remove some of the built in vendor applications. Additionally, in order to easily unbrick any bricked device using official firmware release, at least two firmware versions are provided by separate users.
Convenient summary listing all related threads:
Currently available firmware downloads:
- Version HLTE202N.R1_L1657.6.03.02.00: https://mega.nz/file/bR5g0I5I#2kwOj8vpsrOUfu-Fpdj1Yboppx9-ZzTk7t3IS-dpT5E (seems to be a EDL dump of the unofficial international ROM)
- Version HLTE202N_L1657.6.09.06.00: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JBzsFrtGtIXLYTPTMA2cc9spp_dxF_WX (latest official OTA release)
 Upgrade instructions
Use T card to upgrade. (translated from Chinese)
- Upgrade notes:
- The upgrade operation will erase all non-factory preset user information in the phone, please transfer important information in advance.
- Make sure that the battery has enough power. It is recommended that the battery has at least 50% power to avoid power interruption during the upgrade process, which may cause the upgrade to fail.
- Preparations before T card upgrade:
- Prepare a TF card, first format the TF card (microSD card) into FAT format;
- Decompress the downloaded product software version (usually a compressed package and divided into multiple compressed sub-packages) compressed package, and copy the obtained folder named "HLTE202N_TF" to the root directory of the TF card;
- Put the TF card into the phone and put the battery in the phone. Confirm that the battery power is greater than 50%, if the battery power is low, please charge it first;
- T card upgrade process
- Press and hold the "Volume +" and "Volume -" side buttons at the same time, and then press the power button, the phone will automatically enter the T card upgrade mode for upgrade. If the phone does not enter the T card upgrade mode, please turn it off Repeat the operation afterwards.
- Wait for about 5 minutes for the upgrade to complete, and a prompt of successful upgrade will be displayed.
- Restart according to the prompt after the upgrade is successful. If there is no such prompt, press and hold the power button for more than 20 seconds to restart. The first boot after the upgrade will take a long time, which is several times the normal boot time. Please wait patiently.