The 2018 and 2017 models are a new lower cost iPad at a starting price of $329. They replace iPad Air 2 at $329. The 2017 was available March 24, 2017. AKA iPad 5th generation. 2017's are still available some places at even lower cost. The 2018 model was available March 28th 2018. AKA iPad 6th generation.
- Apple's high-quality aluminum unibody build, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor on the front, and the usual buttons and ports along the sides.
- Screen differences with iPad Pro: They are not laminated, don't have an anti-reflective coating, and they don't support a wide color gamut. There's also no True Tone, meaning the screen won't use the ambient light sensor to dynamically adjust the screen's white color balance to make text more readable.
- Fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi delivers up to 866-Mbps throughput. The Wi-Fi + Cellular model supports LTE networks worldwide for convenient connectivity.
- This unit is the same size and weight as an iPad Air thus accessories such as cases for the Air will fit.
- The 2018 adds support for the Apple pencil and has a faster processor.
- A10 versus A8X
- thickness 0.29 vs. 0.24
- weight 1.03 vs 15.36 oz
- no anti-reflection coating, not laminated
- dropped 64G
- Battery is the larger Air battery 32.4 WH vs. 27.3 WH
- screen size 9.7" 2048 x 1536 pixels 264 ppi
- LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- Dimensions 9.4" by 6.6" by 0.29"
- weight: 1.03 lbs, 1.05 for Cell version
- CPU: 64 bit Apple ARM.
- 2017 A9 and M9 co-processor
- 2018 A10 Fusion fourth-generation chip and M10 co-processor
- Memory: 32G, 128G ($329, $429)
- OS: iOS 10
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO dual antennas
- Bluetooth: 4.2 technology
- Cellular: Optional, has full 20 LTE channels and assisted GPS, micro-sim card.
- 2018 model supports the Apple pencil.
- Camera: 8MP Rear with 1080p video, 1.2MP Front-Facing 1280 x 960
- 8-megapixel camera 3264 x 2448 4:3
- Panorama (up to 43 megapixels)
- HDR for photos
- Exposure control
- Burst mode
- Tap to focus
- Timer mode
- ƒ/2.4 aperture
- Five-element lens
- Hybrid IR ﬁlter
- Backside illumination
- Auto image stabilization
- Face detection
- Photo geotagging
- 1080 Video recording
- live pictures
- Battery: 10 hr life, 32.4-watt-hour lithium polymer
- Colors: silver, gold, space gray
- Digital compass, iBeacon microlocation, 3 axis gyro, accelerometer, Ambient light sensor, barometer