You can now read Amazon Kindle eBooks (AZW and TPZ) files on your Apple iPhone or iPOD Touch. The reader is available from the iTunes store as a free download. You do not need to own a Kindle to use this software. It has been released for USA use only so you will need a US credit card or address to buy eBooks on the Amazon site. Recently Amazon has started delivering a special format AZK for iOS devices although the older format still works.
The features are similar to the standard Amazon Kindle 2 except that there is no search capability, no dictionary support (iOS version now has dictionary support), no annotation (iPad does have annotation of text books), and no direct link to the Amazon store. (You need to use the browser on the iPhone or your computer to link to the store). Magazine and Newspaper subscriptions are supported as are collections.
- Once the eBook is purchased download is automatic to your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch the next time you turn it on.
- There is a 'Whispersync' feature that permits syncing a Kindle and an iPhone to permit reading an eBook on both devices sequentially moving between devices while keeping your place on both devices.
- The iPhone already supports Audible content so this can also be shared with a Kindle. (Multiple license support)
Read Kindle books on your iPhone or iPod touch
- No Kindle required to read or purchase books
- Get the best reading experience available on your iPhone or iPod touch
- Access your Kindle books even if you don't have your Kindle with you
- Automatically synchronizes your last page read between devices with Amazon Whispersync
- Adjust the text size, add bookmarks, and view the annotations you created on your Kindle
- Read in portrait or landscape mode
- Select alternate background and text colors to improve reading comfort in low light conditions
- Tap on either side of the screen or flick to turn pages
- Pinch to zoom images in books
- Tap and hold on a word to create a note or highlight
- Whispersync will back up and synchronize annotations with your other Kindle devices
- iPhone Safari optimized Kindle store.
The latest format from Kindle is the KF8 release. It mimics the capabilities of ePub and even sports some ePub 3 features. It is available on the Android version. The iOS version has some of the same capabilities with its new AZK version only released for this OS.
 For more information
- Amazon web site for iPhone app
- Amazon web site for all apps
- How to transfer personal documents to the Kindle iOS app
- There is also Kindle Previewer which can be used to read Kindle files. It is intended to mimic the screen used on Amazon Kindle devices.