Kindle paperwhite 2
- Made by: Amazon
- Released: September 9, 2013
- Predecessor: Kindle paperwhite 1
- Languages Supported: English and several more.
- File Types Supported: KF8, AZW, MOBI, PDF, TXT, KFX
- Two models, a Wi-Fi only and a Wi-Fi with 3G
- Free 3G wireless - no hunting or paying for Wi-Fi hotspots, no annual contracts or monthly fees
- 3G wireless works globally - download books anytime, anywhere
- Patented built-in light evenly illuminates the screen to provide the perfect reading experience in all lighting conditions
- Paperwhite has 62% more pixels for unsurpassed resolution
- 25% better contrast for sharp, dark text
- Even in bright sunlight, Paperwhite delivers clear, crisp text and images with no glare
- New hand-tuned fonts - 6 font styles, 8 adjustable sizes
- 8-week battery life, even with the light on
- Holds up to 1,100 books - take your library wherever you go
- Built-in Wi-Fi lets you download books in under 60 seconds
- New Time to Read feature uses your reading speed to let you know when you'll finish your chapter
- Massive book selection. Lowest prices. Over a million titles less than $9.99
- 180,000 Kindle-exclusive titles that you won't find anywhere else, including books by best-selling authors such as Kurt Vonnegut
- Supports children's books and includes new parental controls
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library - with Amazon Prime, Kindle owners can choose from more than 180,000 books to borrow for free with no due dates, including over 100 current and former New York Times best sellers and all 7 Harry Potter books.
- SO: Firmware (Binary) based in Linux
Changes for paperwhite 2
IMPROVED—Enjoy even better contrast on the latest Kindle Paperwhite. Whites are whiter and blacks are blacker, creating sharp, clear text. The high-resolution display allows for elegant typeface options including Baskerville and Palatino, and all fonts on Kindle Paperwhite have been hand-tuned at the pixel level for maximum readability and comfort.
IMPROVED—The new Kindle Paperwhite's processor is 25% faster. Books open and pages turn faster for a seamless experience. Kindle Paperwhite also uses the latest in capacitive touch technology, more accurately responding to the smallest touches.
NEW—With Kindle Paperwhite’s new Page Flip feature, you can skim page-by-page, scan by chapter, or skip to the end for a sneak peek without losing your place.
IMPROVED—Kindle Paperwhite's Smart Lookup feature integrates a full dictionary with X-Ray and Wikipedia so you can access definitions, characters, settings, and more without leaving your page or losing your place.
NEW—Words looked up in the dictionary are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder to expand your knowledge and reinforce retention. Swipe through your vocabulary words, quiz yourself with flashcards, and instantly see those words in context.
NEW—With a single tap, read the complete text of each footnote without changing your page or losing your place in the book.
KFX supported added via software update.
- Display: Amazon’s 6" Paperwhite E Ink Carta e-paper technology and built-in Front light
- 1024 x 758 pixel 212 ppi, optimized font technology, 16-level gray scale
- Interface: 2 finger multi-touch screen
- Size: 6.7" x 4.6" x 0.36" (169 mm x 117 mm x 9.1 mm)
- Weight: 7.3 ounces (206 grams); 7.6 ounces for 3G model
- System Requirements: None; fully wireless and doesn't require a computer to download content
- On-Device Storage: 2 GB internal (approximately 1.25 GB available for user content). Holds up to 1,100 books
- Cloud Storage: Free cloud storage for all Amazon content
- Battery Life: A single charge lasts up to eight weeks, based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at 10. Battery life will vary based on light and wireless usage
- Charge Time: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours from a computer via USB cable
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication or Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
- 3G Connectivity (select models): HSDPA modem (3G) with a fallback to EDGE/GPRS; utilizes Amazon Whispernet to provide wireless coverage via AT&T's 3G high-speed data network in the U.S. and partner networks outside of the U.S.
- Formats Supported: Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), KFX, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively;
- Documentation: Quick Start Guide (included in box); Kindle Paperwhite User Guide (pre-installed on device) [PDF]. Additional information in multiple languages available online
- Warranty and Service: 1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional 2-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Kindle is subject to the terms found here
- Included in the Box: Kindle Paperwhite, USB 2.0 charging cable and Quick Start Guide
Newest 2013 technology, replaces Kindle paperwhite 1
- Waterproof model - Include third party waterproof modifications, good to over 200 feet