- Made by: NuvoMedia, Inc.
- Released: 1998
- Predecessor: none
- Languages Supported: English
- File Types Supported: RB
There are actually two versions of the Rocket eBook by NuvoMedia, Inc. The regular eBook had 4 MB of flash memory, which is enough to store about 10 “regular” books or 4,000 pages. The Pro version had 16 MB of memory, good for about 40 books or 16,000 pages. Afterwards, under Gemstar, the REB 1100 (or the GEM 1100) was introduced as manufactured by RCA.
The eBook is capable of displaying images, but the screen is only black-and-white (not gray scale). The screen is 106 dpi or 480 x 320 pixels on a 4.5 x 3 inch touch screen. It has support for Allegra, an input method similar to Palm’s Graffiti, that allows you to enter text by writing characters onto the screen. If you don’t want to learn it, you can simply use an on-screen keyboard, and if you don’t want to use the stylus, the touch screen also reacts to your fingers, albeit a bit sluggishly.
The Rocket eBook connects to a computer via a serial port connection to download eBooks.
The power supply accepts international voltages and detaches for easier transport. The backlight means you can read at night without disturbing your companions. Electronic features like find, lookup, and hyperlinks introduce the convenience and power of computers. People who have problems with their eyesight will find the customizable fonts to be a life-saver. Just switch to the built-in large font or upload an even larger font (TTF). By default, the eBook comes with Verdana 10 and 14, and you can upload fonts up to 28 point
Rocket eBook Reader Specifications:
- Weight: 22 ounces
- Memory: 4 MB flash memory, 2 MB DRAM; holds up to 10 books or 4,000 pages of graphics and text--the equivalent of 10 novels
- Power: Internal, rechargeable nickel-metal hydride battery; AC adapter/recharger, 100 to 240 volts AC, 50 to 60 Hz, 0.5 amps, 15 watts (maximum)
- Battery Life: 17 to 33 hours per charge
- Battery recharge time: 90 minutes (approximately)
- Display: High-resolution monochrome LCD touch screen with stylus (included) and built-in backlight, 4.5-by 3-inch active viewing area, 106-dpi resolution
- Size: 5 by 7.5 by 1.5 inches
- Expandability: Internal socket for additional memory (potential option, not currently available)
- Operating system: RocketEngine (proprietary, designed for electronic books)
- Ergonomic, ambidextrous design, about the size of a paperback
- Speech-quality audio for documents published with audio content
The Rocket eBook was originally produced by NuvoMedia, Inc. The product was purchased by Gemstar LTD in the year 2000 and was then re-manufactured by RCA as the REB 1100. They are no longer being manufactured.