A Waterproof and/or dustproof reader is important to some users.
There is an IP (International Protection) standard under IEC standard 60529 for both dustproof and waterproof devices. This provides an explanation to control the use of meaningless claims. The standard is the letters IP followed by two numbers. The first number specifies the size of ingress by a solid object and the second number specifies the rating for liquid ingress.
The first number must be at least 5 to refer to dust or an X if no claim is made for dustproof. Smaller numbers refer to larger objects.
- 5 means protected against dust (dust won't hurt it)
- 6 means dust proof
The second number is for liquid and the numbers get progressively better but there is no claim that a lower number specification is covered by a larger number. Sometimes you will see two separate IP numbers listed for liquids. The numbers 7 and 8 are used for immersion in fresh water. The lower numbers refer to things like rain and spray.
- 1-2 dripping water
- 3 spray
- 4 splashing
- 5 water jets
- 6 more powerful water jets
- 7 means a depth of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.
- 8 means 1 meter or more for a longer time. The depth and times are expected to be specified by the manufacturer.
 Reader List
- Kindle Oasis 7 – Amazon’s first waterproof Kindle IPX8 up to 2 meters of water for up to 60 minutes
- Kindle paperwhite 4 - Also IPX8 matching the Oasis.
- Kobo Aura ONE has HZO Protection with an IPX8 rating up to 2 meters of water for up to 60 minutes.
- Kobo Aura H2O is IP67 certified.
- Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 is IPX8 rated like the Aura One
- Kobo Forma IPX8 rated, 8" screen
- Kobo Libra H2O IPX8 rated 7" screen
- 2015 Nook GlowLight Plus 6" screen is IP67 certified
- 2019 NOOK GlowLight Plus 7.8" screen
- PocketBook Aqua 2 is IP57 certified as was the original Aqua.
- PocketBook Touch HD 3 has HZO Protection IPX7.
- Tolino Vision 4HD with Water Protection by HZO is IP67 certified. All Vision models except the first are waterproof.
- Tolino epos is IP67 certified just like the 4 HD.
- Tolino Shine is IP67.
 Smartphone list
Of course a smartphone can also read eBooks.
- LG G6 IP67
- Samsung Galaxy S8 and later IP68
- Apple iPhone 7 and later IP67
- Google Pixel 2 family IP67
- Google Pixel 3 family IP68
 Adding Waterproofing
- Waterfi can waterproof a Kindle paperwhite with IPX8 rating.
- The easiest way is with a bag such as This one from Aquapac. Some have used freezer zip lock bags with success.