BOOX i86 family
- Made by: Onyx
- Released: 2015
- Predecessor: none
- Languages Supported:
- File Types Supported: PDF, TXT, HTML, EPUB, CHM, PDB, MOBI (Non-DRM), FB2, DJVU, images and audio.
- ☆ 8" E Ink screen, reading without eyestrain
- ☆ Full-screen infrared touch, reading by a simple tap
- ☆ Mechanical page turn buttons, managing your Boox freely
- ☆ Pre-installed TTS, good help for foreign language learning
- ☆ Large storage, holding thousands of books
- ☆ Android 4.0 smart reading, extending your reading world
- Model: i86HD/i86ML:
- Flash: 4GB, 3.5G available for user
- RAM: 512M LPDDR2
- Model: i86HDML PLUS (UHDML)
- Flash: 8GB, 5.94 user data & 460MB application storage available
- RAM: 1GB LPDDR2
- Model: i86HD/i86ML/i86HDML PLUS:
- Size: 210 x 160 x 9mm
- Color: Black
- Weight: 340g
- CPU: Cortex-A9 1GHz
- OS: Android 4.0
- Screen: 8" E Ink Pearl (121,5 mm x 161 mm)
- Memory: MicroSD (up to 32G)
- Audio: 3.5mm
- USB: Micro USB2.0
- Wi-Fi: WIFI, 802.11b/g
- Bluetooth: 4.0 web browsing using bluetooth mouse demo
- Battery: 1700mAh LI-ION Polymer Battery, 300 cycles charging
- Runtime: about 2 weeks
- Charger: 5.0V，1A, charging approx. 3 hours
- Operative Temperature: 0°C- 50°C
- Book Format: PDF, TXT, HTML, EPUB, CHM, PDB, MOBI (Non-DRM), FB2, DJVU
- Photo Format: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP
- Audio Format: MP3，WAV
- Browser: included
- Dictionary: Stardict. Stardict has not been supported for years, and there are no English dictionary files available. The i86 implementation is a Chinese/English translation dictionary - totally useless for English readers.
- TTS Support TTS
- Notes, Annotation Supported
- Refresh: A2 / Partial / Full fresh for optional
- DRM: ePub, PDF
- Update: WiFi to device
- Certification CE, Rohs
- English forum main discussion : http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235770
- Buy or Wait ? (includes comparison to Kobo or Inkpad devices) : http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266202
- Discussion en Français (french forum discussion) : http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266674
- Onyx web site
- Firmware and documents : onyx i86 official chinese bbs, onyx-international.com firmware download page (more up to date chinese page), Ereader-Store.de firmware & documents Downloads
- Wishlist: Boox i86 wishlist => wiki page to report bugs, etc ...
There are reportedly three ways to root the i86:
- Cydia Impactor
- TowelRoot v1 - Some success reports in the forum, did not work for me.
- "New Standard-Root (thx Ariel Berkman)" Works well but I had to configure i86 to use the universal ADB driver mentioned in the above link "Cydia Impactor" (you don't have to delete all usb drivers as they claim, just the one for the i86).
You have to be rooted:
- Ad Away -The problem is that when you get ads when browsing they are much harder to cope with than on a normal tablet.
- Ivona TTS -together with the voice Amy. It's a free and a much better Text to speech engine than Pico TTS, that is stock on Ereader-Store.de's i86's
You don't have to be rooted:
- Swapps - there is no way on the i86 to toggle background apps, this app does that.
- Hacker's keyboard - adds arrow buttons so you can easily edit text. long press a key with multiple symbols and you can access the symbols or use shift, Fn
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=piotr4 : QuickFullScreen Manager, QuickFullScreen & Front Light Detector by forum user DarkCookie
- Manual screen refresh: Press and hold the forward (>) button
- Toggle front light on/off: Press and hold the big round back button under the boox logo.
- Dictionaries can be downloaded from the net. The format of the dictionaries should be "stardict". You can edit what dictionaries you would like to use by removing/placing them in the /dictionary folder on the i86.
- Ereader-Store.de - shipping worldwide