Upgrade Your Device
 Automatically Upgrade
Your device should automatically download the latest firmware when
- You login to your device after first boot or factory reset.
- Your device syncs to Kobo server, automatically or manually.
Depending on your location or the affiliate setting on your device, you might get different versions of firmware as the "latest".
 Sideload a Firmware
You can find links to all available firmware in Kobo Firmware Releases.
There are mainly three files/directories in a firmware package:
- upgrade/: the U-Boot image files.
- KoboRoot.tgz: the update files.
- manifest.md5sum: md5sum of the U-Boot image files.
To sideload a firmware:
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Extract all files in the zip to the .kobo/ directory on your device.
- Disconnect your device. The upgrade process should begin automatically.
 Kobo Start Menu
If you installed KSM on your device, the upgrade process might disable KSM.
Thus, KSM has provided a way to "install partial update." See this thread for further information.
 Factory Reset
A factory reset resets your device to the out-of-the-box state. Specifically, it will:
- delete all your account information (Kobo/Adobe/Facebook/Pocket/etc.) and side-loaded books on the device's main memory.
- revert your device firmware to the stock version.
You might want to do a factory reset when:
- files/database are corrupted on your device
- you want to downgrade your device firmware
- getting rid of hacks/plugins you installed on your device
 Perform a Factory Reset
The way to perform a factory reset differs between devices. See Kobo's troubleshooting page for more information.
 Preserve Accounts / Books During Factory Reset
- Back up the following files:
- .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite (your account information/reading status/library/etc.)
- your side-loaded books
- If your books is stored on an external SD card in the first place, you don't have to backup them here.
- Other files, like Kobo eReader.conf, dictionary files, etc.
- Factory reset your device.
- On the first setup screen, connect your device to PC, and copy the backup files back to the device.