Logos is short for Logos Bible software from Faithlife. Logos provides software and collections of Christian Bible study books.
Logos software is needed to read Logos eBooks. The company promotes buying the software in a package with lots of books for a high price (which is a bargain only if you want those books), but you can also get the basic software for free and it can be upgraded with features later. The current version (9) is not available for free on the Desktop version as yet but you can use Version 8 for free. It is expected that a free version 9 will be offered in the spring of 2021. You will need an account to use this product which will help to sync the various tools and books. The same account will work at all (or most) of the various sites listed on this page and all of the tools. There is an allocated database stored on the Internet for each customer which allows syncing between your computers, phones, and tablets. For portable devices there is a sync command that allows manually sync but for a desktop version it is automatic when the program is first opened and often when it is closed.
- Logos Desktop systems are available for MacOS and Windows. Go to the Logos web site and search for "free Logos". You can choose the 8 Basic and/or the Verbum 8 Basic (for Catholic books added). Note that a download option is likely in the banner at the top of the page.
- Logos Mobile versions are available for iOS, iPadOS, Android, Kindle Fire; available in app stores
- There is also a version targeted at Web Browsers, See: Logos web app for all other platforms or when you don't want to download software such as when using someone else's computer.
- http://Biblia.com is another online connection to your database of books.
Logos can be used in any of 12 different languages. To change the language perform the following steps:
- In Logos, click Tools > Utilities > Program Settings.
- In the General section click the dropdown menu beside Language.
- Close the Program Settings panel and restart Logos.
These include: Afrikaans, Brazilian Portuguese, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese.
In addition to the above languages there are Bibles in Arabic, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Latin, and Russian
 eBook sources
Logos calls eBooks as "resources" and lumps them together with other items, such as software, audio books, and videos. These sources will all work with the Logos software.
- https://Books.Logos.com more that 8,000 books (possible eBooks to be created)
- https://Verbum.com - Catholic
- https://lexhampress.com - Lexham Press
- https://es.logos.com - Spanish
- https://sc.logos.com - Chinese simplified
- https://tc.logos.com - Chinese traditional
- https://de.logos.com - German
- https://pt.logos.com - Portuguese
Note that some eBooks are sold as a rental and will expire if not renewed. There are also offers for books that are not yet published. There are groups of books that might save you money if you want most or all of them. Be sure that you are buying what you want. Many of the same eBooks are in the various sources but you may find different deals. There is also a bidding system to get a new book published by promising to buy it.
To find the free books you should find the deals under $10 entry, usually available on the Home page of the Logos desktop and then sort the list by price (lowest first). The free software will be listed as well. You can narrow the list by selecting the "unowned" box. You can also tap search and enter "price:0" without the quotes.