The lBook eReader is a group of products from the Ukraine. They generally support English, Ukrainian, and Russian. The lBook group has been the lead distributor and developer for Hanlin products including the lBook V3, the Hanlin V2, and the Hanlin V8. Most recently they added the Hanlin V5. Note that the Russian language version of site has the V5. They use their own custom firmware which typically includes some features beyond the general Hanlin device. Their version of the V5 includes:
- TTS support
- Expanded Cool Reader Version 3 implementation.
The reader is available in black and white. In the USA this item can be purchased from http://www.pocketbookreader.com/
quick reference items
- Firmware upgrades: see the News or download link on the site home page. Note that you may have to switch to Russian for the latest versions on the site. The English page isn't always up to date.
- Manuals: see the download link on the site home page.
- Made by: Jinke
- Released: Summer 2009
- Predecessor: Hanlin V3
- Languages Supported: English, Chinese, Russian, Ukrainian, Turkish, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Bulgarian, Estonian, Polish
- File Types Supported: PDF, TXT, RTF, EPUB, LIT, PPT, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2, HTML, DJVU, MP3, TIFF, JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, RAR, ZIP, MOBI/PRC, PalmDOC
The V5 is a portable electronic device specifically for reading applications. Its stable, high-brightness makes for excellent readability both indoors AND outdoors. The 5-inch e Ink display (EPD) contains 800 x 600 pixels (200 ppi) and supports 8 levels of grayscale. The product has a SDHC card slot on the top of the device, memory extension up to 16GB. Connection to PC/laptop: via USB-cable. The USB connection is also used for charging the device. It feature the Epson controller for advanced display capabilities.
The V5 is a very low power mobile device, specifically designed for reading applications. The operating time of the rechargeable battery is about a month without recharging, based on an average use of 300 pages reading a day. The device supports multi-level directory management.
There are 10 dual purpose number keys, next/previous buttons on the left side, a cancel/ok split button and a scroll wheel (also for next/previous) on the right edge.
|Dimensions||151mm(L)*105mm(W)*10mm(H), 5.9" x 4.1" x .4"|
|Main Display||E Ink Vizplex 800x600 pixel 3"x4" (5" diagonal) 8 level grayscale.|
|Memory||SDRAM : 32M Byte, Internal 2M NOR FLASH; 512MB internal Flash Disk, 128 MB Firmware flash.|
|I/O|| A. 3.5mm stereo audio jack for earphone, |
B. USB 2.0 Port,
C. SDHC slot (supports up to 16GB)
|Working Temperature||0℃ to 40℃|
|Storage Temperature||-20℃ to 55℃|
|Format Support||PDF, TXT, RTF, EPUB, LIT, PPT, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2, HTML, DJVU, MP3, TIFF, JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, RAR, ZIP, MOBI.|
|DRM||Adobe content server (PDF, ePUB)|
|Operating System||Linux OS|
|CPU:||Samsung Arm 9 400MHz processor|
|Accessories:||USB cable, charger, User Manual, Earphone|
There is a SDK available at the Jinke site to help further develop the possibilities of the V5.
This is the latest eBook Reader from Jinke. Current products include a progression of V8 to V2 to V2b to V3 and the V5. The V2 and V2b are not available to individuals currently. The V8 uses the Wolf OS, the V2 replaces the Wolf OS with Linux and adds direct support for many files types without a converter. The V2B drops the touch screen and the V3 adds the Vizplex display. The V5 is a 5" version of the V3 with some upgrades.
- HanLin eBook for an overview of the Jinke ebook readers
- Jinke site - description of the V5
- For specifications on the display technology see: E Ink display
- To compare this device with other E-INK devices see: E-book Reader Matrix
- To compare the capabilities of each file format see: Hanlin eBook formats
- OpenInkpot for alternative free/open source firmware in progress, not yet for the V5
- Where to Buy ?
- Hanlin V5 disassembly
- Papyre Hanlin V5 Serial Port